Engr. Dr. Asad Arfeen
Assistant Professor (Computer & Information Systems Engineering)
Director IT NED University of Engineering & Technology (Additional Charge)
Elected Member of the Syndicate of the NED University of Engineering & Technology (Tenure 2019-2021)
Scientific Director/Principal Investigator of the National Centre for Cyber Security (Planning Commission of Pakistan)
HEC Approved PhD Supervisor
Member Sindh IT Board
Email: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 0092-21-99261252 (direct)
0092-21-99261261, ext:2433 (direct)
Personal Assistant Office Phone: 0092-21-99261261 ext:2321
PhD (2010-2015) University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
Title: Contributions to Modelling of Internet Traffic by Fractal Renewal Processes
(Developed simple and analytically tractable models for high volume teletraffic data belonging to access and backbone networks. The models can be used for performance evaluation studies of telecommunication networks as well as modelling real teletraffic data at packet, flow and session levels in access and backbone core networks).
Supervisor: Emeritus Professor Dr. Krys Pawlikowski ( http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/krys.pawlikowski/ )
(Alexandar von Humboldt Fellow)
Scholarship: Awarded PlanetLab New Zealand Doctoral Fellowship under Kiwi Advanced Research and Education Network (KAREN) / REANNZ
Committee: Professor Franco Davoli (Telecommunication Networks and Telematics Laboratory, University of Genoa, Italy), Emeritus Professor Richard Harris (School of Engineering & Advanced Technology, Massey University New Zealand), Emeritus Professor Krys Pawlikowski (Networks Research Group, University of Canterbury)
PhD thesis: https://ir.canterbury.ac.nz/handle/10092/10194
2021: Won HEC Technology Transfer Support Fund (TTSF) grant. Amount= 11.414 million PKR on project "Security & Threat Intelligence Platform for Capital Market of Pakistan" (Industry Partner= National Clearing Company of Pakistan NCCPL) (Role= Principal Investigator)
2018: Won Planning Commission's grant on National Centre of Cyber Security (NCCS). Amount= 118 million PKR. Role=Principal Investigator of four domain security lab (End Point Protection, Internet Security, Digital Forensics, Quantum Technology)
2016: Won competitive NRPU research grant. Amount= 8.2 million PKR on project "Stochastic Modelling and Realtime Estimation of Internet Traffic in Access and Core Networks. Role=Principal Investigator
2014: Royal New Zealand Navy's project “Quality of Experience based Traffic Optimization for Satellite IP Network of Royal New Zealand Navy”. Amount=50K NZD, Role= Principal Investigator
1. Murk Marvi, Asad Arfeen, Raza Mehdi, and Zahid Rauf. "Investigating the Impact of Regional Temperature on COVID-19 Pandemic During 2020." MDPI Sustainability (Accepted 19 May 2021) (JCR ,Impact Factor=2.576)
2. Murk Marvi, Asad Arfeen, Riaz Uddin, "An Augmented K-means Clustering Approach for the Detection of DDoS Attacks", Wiley/ACM International Journal of Network Management (April 2021) (JCR IF=1.338)
3. Usama Ahsan, Muhammad Mubashir Khan, Asad Arfeen, Khadija Azam, “Security Analysis Of KXB10 QKD Protocol with Higher Dimensional Quantum States” International Journal of Quantum Information, 2021 (JCR ,Impact Factor=1.176) [Accepted for Publication]
4. Syed, Sheraz, Asad Arfeen, Riaz Uddin, and Umaima Haider. "An Analysis of Renewable Energy Usage by Mobile Data Network Operators." Sustainability, volume 13, number 4, pages 1-16 (2021) (JCR ,Impact Factor=2.576)
5. Asad Arfeen, Khizar Ul Haq, and S.M. Yasir, “Application layer classification of Internet traffic using ensemble learning models”, International Journal of Network Management (2020) (JCR ,Impact Factor=1.338)
6. Riaz Uddin, Hashim Raza Khan, Asad Arfeen, Muhammad Ayaz Shirazi, Athar Rashid, Umar Shahbaz Khan,"Energy Storage for Energy Security and Reliability through Renewable Energy Technologies: A New Paradigm for Energy Policies in Turkey and Pakistan", Sustainability 2021, 13(5), 2823; https://doi.org/10.3390/su13052823
7. Riaz Uddin, Muhammad Affan, Asad Arfeen, Saad A. Qazi, "Low Frequency Transparency Analyses of Passivity Based Approaches for Two - Channel Teleoperation Architectures", Accepted for publication in March 2021 in Springer International Journal of Control and Automation (JCR IF=2.733).
8. Asad Arfeen, and Riaz Uddin, “Quality of experience-based optimization of satellite Internet-at-sea using WAN accelerators”. International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking, volume 38, pages 527-556, 2020. (JCR ,Impact Factor=0.603)
9. R. Uddin, A. Jamshaid and Asad Arfeen, "Smart Design of Surgical Suture Attachment Force Measurement Setup Using Tactile Sensor," in IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, volume. 70, pages. 1-12, 2020 (JCR ,Impact Factor=3.89)
10. MM Khan, Asad Arfeen, U Ahsan, S Ahmed, T Mumtaz - Analysis of achievable distances of BB84 and KMB09 QKD protocols, International Journal of Quantum Information,volume 18, 2020 (Impact Factor=1.176)
11. Murk Marvi, Asad Arfeen, and Riaz Uddin. "A generalized machine learning‐based model for the detection of DDoS attacks." International Journal of Network Management (2020). (JCR , Impact Factor=1.338)
12. Rizwan Aslam Butt, M Faheem, Asad Arfeen, M. Waqar Ashraf, Mehwish Javed, "Machine learning based dynamic load balancing DWBA scheme for TWDM PON", Elsevier Optical Fibre Technology, volume 52, November 2019. (JCR Q2, Impact Factor=1.824)
13. Asad Arfeen, Krzysztof Pawlikowski, Don McNickle, Andreas Willig,"The Role of the Weibull Distribution in Modelling Traffic in Internet Access and Backbone Core Networks", Elsevier Journal of Networks and Computer Applications, volume 141, 1 September 2019, Pages 1-22, ( JCR Q1, Impact Factor=5.273)
14. Asad Arfeen, Krzysztof Pawlikowski, Don McNickle, Andreas Willig,"Global and Local Scaling Analysis of Link Streams in Access and Backbone Core Networks", Elsevier Computer Networks, volume 149, February 2019, Pages 154-172 (JCR Q1, Impact Factor=3.03)
15. Saeeda Kanwal, Muhammad Khurram, Asad Arfeen, Jie Li, "Intelligent Crowd Analysis by Detecting and Counting People in Densely Crowded Aerial Images", NED Journal of Research Thematic Issue on Advances in Image and Video Processing 2017.
16. Asad Arfeen, Krzysztof Pawlikowski, Don McNickle, Andreas Willig,“Internet Traffic Modeling : From Superposition to Scaling”, IET Networks Journal,Special Issue on “Teletraffic Engineering in Communications Systems”, 2014. (SNIP: 1.094 SJR: 0.355)
17. Muhammad KAMRAN, , Muhammad Mubashir KHAN, Tahir MALIK, Asad ARFEEN, “ Quantum key distribution over free space optic (FSO) channel using higher order Gaussian beam spatial modes”, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, (2020) 28: 3335 – 3351.
18. Rizwan Aslam Butt, Muhammad Faheem, Waqar Ashraf, Asad Arfeen. "Sleep-Aware Wavelength and Bandwidth Assignment scheme for TWDM PON", Springer Optical and Quantum Electronics. (JCR IF = 1.8) (Accepted for Publication 11 March 2021)
International Conference Publications
International Professional Awards
2019: HEC Young Faculty Award awarded by Ambassador of P R China in Islamabad to visit Tsinghua University (QS rank 12) and other top universities of China.
2016: HEC Conference travel award to participate in ITNAC 2016 in Dunedin, New Zealand.
2013: International Teletraffic Congress Travel award.
2012: Australasian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Congress Travel award.
2011: PlanetLab New Zealand research award.
2010: (I) G.B. Battersby Trimble award for advancement of computing in New Zealand, (II) Planetlab New Zealand travel award for research visits at TU Berlin Germany, Imperial College London and University of Waikato, New Zealand.
- Internet Engineering & Security
- Stochastic Processes in Computer Networks
- Fractal Renewal Processes and their Applications
- Sequential Analysis of Long Range Dependence in Internet Traffic
- Simulation of Rare events
- Queueing theory for Performance Evaluation of Computer Networks
- Ms. Sumayya Zafar (Assistant Prof, CIS, NED) - PhD student - Topic: Sequential Analysis of LRD/Fractal Processes
- Mr. Syed Muhammad Sheraz (Lecturer, CSIT, NED) - PhD student - Topic: Energy Efficiency in Access and Backbone Core Networks
- Ms. Tooba Shaikh (Lecturer, PAFKIET) - PhD student - Topic: Sequential Change Point Detection Methods for Anamoly Detection in Computer Networks
- Ms. Sabra Ayub - MS thesis student (NRPU MS Scholarship awardee) - Topic: Internet Traffic Archiving, Indexing and Time series based Analysis
2020: Security and Threat Intelligence Platform (STIP) development for National Clearing Company of Pakistan (NCCPL)
2019: Advisor to the Inspector General of Police, IGP Sindh
2019: Collaboration with Securiti.AI, CDC House, Transworld and Bank Alfalah in various project.